Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sleeping outside in Antarctica...






I never in my life thought I'd come to Antarctica...I certainly never thought I would ever spend the night outside in Antarctica! Two days ago, I got the e-mail that I was selected to go on a boondoggle. A boondoggle is a morale trip for folks on station that aren't scientists. It's a big treat to be able to go on a boondoggle. I really wanted to go dive tending or learn how to drive a snow mobile, but I was chosen to go on happy camper...a bit of a misnomer.
I can't say I was too psyched to go, but I was really happy to get out of the galley for a few days. So I went and I had more fun than I thought I would. The weather was gorgeous during the day while we built an ice block wall (there were ten of us so it took a long time) and set up camp. This crazy fog rolled in later on and it became condition 2 (fourth picture) shows the fog rolling in). We couldn't see the outhouse from our camp! I slept really well considering I was sleeping outside in Antarctica.

Lucas and I went to our redeployment meeting and it's looking like we are leaving on February 18th! So soon! It's both really exciting and really sad as we're pretty sure we won't come back here.

Lucas and I got our Peace Corps medical packet (thanks mom and dad) and we'll hopefully be able to do most everything in Antarctica. This is the last big hoop we have to jump!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! all my love--Alex

No comments: