Tuesday, February 17, 2009

it's time

It is our last morning in Antarctica, probably forever. Our flight is scheduled to leave the ice at 4:15pm. It's bitter and sweet. We are sad to say goodbye to so many fascinating and special people, but we are tired. Our bodies need humidity and rest and reasonable diets.

Before we met, Alex and I both dreamed of an extended honeymoon. We've worked hard for it. We've felt work days drag on forever, antarctic COLD and sore hands from washing too many dishes.

It's been amazing and exotic too. Our memories will be of our friends, our hiking trips, conversing/hanging with Alex while she knit, trips to the wine bar and the mountains.

The honeymoon will be the longest I've ever lived out of a backpack.

Hey everyone! This is Alex...Yesterday I washed my last dish and scrubbed my last pot. It was my last painful five am morning wake-up (no matter how much sleep I got the night before, every morning hurt), it was the last time I had to mop and sweep the floor and take out the trash. It was the last time I had to wear my ugly outfit and be on my feet for nine hours straight. My DA days are officially over. Lucas was a doll and came to volunteer on my last day of work since he had the day off and I still had to work (see picture)...

I've been waiting and wishing for this day to come. Some days more than others. And then my friends started leaving...and I realized how much I've grown to love these people; there's something about group trauma bonding...and now it's my time to go and I'm realizing how much I love this place, too... With everything and all of it, I would have to agree with Lucas that it IS a special place... It breaks my heart a little that we will probably never come back (maybe when our unborn children go to college...)

It's been a really great way to start our marriage. Lucas and I have had way more good times than bad...we lived happily in a tiny room the size of a matchbox. I think we'll be fine in the peace corps!

For those of you who have known me for a long time, living out of a backpack for five and a half months is a BIG LIFE DREAM!!!!! I can't believe I get to share that with the man I love.

We haven't heard anything yet from the Peace Corps. We will let you all know the second we hear something.

Thanks to everyone who sent us snail mail, e-mails, packages, and commented and read our blog. Thank you especially to our families who have been such a source of both logistical and emotional support. We could have never done all of this without you! Next time you read this blog, it will be all about our honeymoon! All our love and bye to Antarctica! Lucas and Alex



We plan to continue blogging at this address.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bon voyage, honeymooners!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Travel safely and enjoy your well-deserved break!

Julie D.

ps- Alex- I totally forgot to thank you for the Asheville therapist info! I think Maura passed it along to her client and she sends her thanks too :)

Joey Carr said...

OMG, I can't believe it's over! Miss you guys and can't wait to see you again. It probably sounds cheesy on your end, but you are definitely a source of inspiration to me! (and probably a lot of others too)

Emma G said...

Wow, from Antarctica to New Zealand - that will be quite a change! Glad you made it through your time down South, and now you can relax and explore more amazing ends of the earth!

Alex - send me your email, and I'll keep you updated on our PC preparations. (emmagunc at gmail) We were waiting for our invitation for about 5 months, so don't stress too much.

By the way, I love the penguin picture!

sabrina said...

I am so excited for you two. I think the next 5.5 months may be the best ever!!! we are all thinking about you back here in the chapelhizel/carbizzel area!!! I love and miss you both