Friday, March 11, 2011

Back to the island

Okay,

We made it back to the island, about 10 days ago, on a thursday. Upon our return, our cat, Lady Gaga, was missing, we gave her a few days to return home and then found a new one, it's name is Flopsy, it's a boy, we didn't name him, he is very loving.

it's saturday afternoon, well it's 11am, but it might as well be the afternoon. it's quiet, and wet and cold outside. We haven't left the house today and no one has come to visit. Alex is in the bedroom reading a book by Bill Bryson. I am sitting in our sitting room, on a mat with the laptop computer (iBook G4).
Part of me wants to be social, to go out and visit with neighbors and such things, maybe I feel a bit guilty staying inside all day, like I'm not being a good peace corps volunteer if I spend too much time alone. another part of me is content with not leaving the house, content to find busy work and clean up our place and such things.
In reality, I won't do anything with our communities today, unless they make the effort and come here - to our house. I already know this. There are plenty of tasks around the house and we do well enough entertaining each other.
I hypothesize the social needs of single volunteers drive them to be more active in their communities. And thus more real and connected with their community- a more human experience, I'm a bit jealous on days like today, when I wish I had greater desires to be 'in' the community.

We had two new Peace Corps volunteers, Kyle and Ebs, come visit us as part of their orientation training, they were here for 5 days, we talked a lot about our projects and our community and experiences with Peace Corps, and we tried to make lots of nice meals for them as they have had little control over their diet for many weeks now. A very nice visit.

No comments: