Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Facebook

hey everyone,
We are still in Vila. We were meant to leave on Friday, but as it goes in Vanuatu, we are still here, it's Wednesday. The ship should be out tonight, of course they told us that yesterday too.

Our Vila stay has been good. We've identified a few places we might want to move to when we get back to the states. I am hoping for Floyd, Virginia; but we'll have to check it out first.

We haven't had much luck with our Antarctica applications. We both received emails that we were qualified for the jobs from human resources, which is a huge first step. The next step is to get an email from the hiring manager to set up an interview, we didn't receive any emails from any hiring managers. We applied for a few more jobs and sent a couple don't-forget-us emails to my last hiring manager, but no word from them.

So here's something interesting - on our trip to Port Vila this time there are lots of billboards advertising getting internet on your phone AND many billboards advertising how to get facebook on your phone. This is the first time there has been major marketing for internet in vanuatu, and especially for facebook. Our island friends don't use internet and have never heard of Facebook...yet. The times they are changing. I'd guess it'll just be a year or two until internet and facebook are common on the outer islands. Ten bucks says someone on Pentecost will ask me what Facebook is before we leave this country. And when everyone starts using internet on the outer islands, everyone has access to unlimited information, perhaps creating even less need for rural volunteers like myself. So I guess I'm lucky to have a chance to do this work before it's deemed unnecessary.

Sorry I never got pictures published. In my defense, I've been sick and the internet is really slow.

No comments: