Saturday, August 8, 2009

saying goodbye and shopping

We said goodbye to my parents, I will be 35 and sun-tanned next time I see them. Before returning to America a month ago, I was super-excited (more so than one may expect) to see my parents. Saying goodbye to my parents a few days ago was much sadder than I had anticipated as well. My dad told me to make sure "neither of you do anything stupid" and mom gave us a packet of pepto-bismol.

I act much more like a bratty 13-year-old during visits to my childhood home. There's something about being around one's parents that always makes me act in such a way. Alex acts that same way around her parent's too, so I guess maybe it's kind of normal.(?)

We've spent the better part of the last two days shopping. $425 later we have almost everything we need for two years on a South Pacific island. We bought flip-flops, the thinnest t-shirts we could find, long skirts for Alex and rain covers for our backpacks - very different than shopping for Antarctica.

4 comments:

Ridenour Family said...

We are so sad we didn't connect! We got your message later, and then were out of town when you left. How exciting for the two of you! Hopefully you will still be updating your blog.
Prayers!
~Tricia

Unknown said...

are you two crazies coming to NC before you leave? make sure if you're in Chapel Hill you get in touch with me and come over for dinner.

I love you both. or maybe I missed you already and you're already en route??

Unknown said...

Leah,
Will you facebook alex with your phone number so we can give you a call when we get into Chapel hill in ~10 days?

Tricia,
sorry we missed you, checked out your blog, loved all the pictures of your family. see you in two years.

Lucas

Unknown said...

Those must have been some expensive flip flops! :P I was thinking about you guys today and trying to remember which tropical island you were headed for. I'm back in Canada but heading to India at the end of September to go to an ashram for a couple months, and then maybe do some more travelling after that to really get it out of my system. I'm thinking I'll probably go back through SE Asia again. Who knows, maybe I'll make it down towards Vanuatu! Have a fantastic time! :)

Monica