Saturday, August 15, 2009

Vanuatu...

Alex and I received our tickets to Vanuatu. We leave for L.A. on September 10th, spend a day (the 11th) in training and fly at 9:30pm (on the 11th). We have a 3-hour layover in New Zealand and then a 3 1/2 hour flight to Vanuatu.

We're excited about it all. The plane tickets make it feel more real. We've still have a few more items to purchase/find and plenty more friends to visit and then we're off to our island.

We find ourselves spending a lot of time reading about Vanuatu on the Internet. I've made up some index study/flash cards with vocabulary words for the new language. We'll spend ten weeks in language training. The language we'll be learning is bislama. It's a pidgin English. 95% of the words are of english orgin, so, in theory, it should be a relatively easier language to learn.

2 comments:

Alina said...

I'm glad you got your tickets, I miss you already. Thanks so much for visiting us and have a great time! Love ya, Alina

Katie from the Ice said...

I'm so excited to hear about your first days in Vanuatu. Be sure to keep us filled in.

I'm back at McMurdo and miss you guys! Bamma and I are still planning on a visit after we finish here.

Good luck in your new adventure!!!!