Sunday, December 28, 2008

28 December 2008

Lucas and I had a super fun weekend day. We slept in, had a long and lazy brunch, went on a hike, read books in the greenhouse, finished laundry, and cleaned our teeny tiny room.

The Holidays in Antarctica were interesting. The energy in the galley was sad... Everyone missing their families just a little. My friend Ciara from Ireland and I sang Christmas Carols as we deep cleaned the dining room-- we only knew a few lines of each song...earlier on we made field lunches and prepped milk...we talked about how our families have formed who we are and our dreams for ourselves in the future...and we talked a lot about our moms, of course.

Dinner was nice. Lucas looked very handsome in his bow tie.

As Lucas said, we went to lots of holiday parties...the best one was "Jew you want to have fun?" which was Marci and Linda's Hanukkah party. Lucas made a dradle and I knitted... Lucas also made me a beautiful flower (picture to follow).

We are a little more than half way through the season. I can't believe it! Being in the greenhouse today made me so excited for New Zealand! Lucas was reading about hikes and we are both worried about our fitness level...it's so nice to know that we have three months in New Zealand, so that we can take it easy as we break in to the trails. I want to spend three days soaking in hot springs and sleeping all day in a tent!

At the same time, I'm already a little sad missing my friends and my ridiculous job and the mountains of Antarctica... Our ginormous bed and the pretty sparkles that are all over our walls from the crystal that Andrea gave us...

sigh. All my love to everyone! Alex


Pictures from the observation hill loop--It was forty degrees before the wind chill!








Lucas' flower he made for me at the 'jew you like to have fun party'.

No comments: