Sunday, December 21, 2008

I've got sunshine...

The weather has been absolutely beautiful for the last few days...i hate to say it, but almost warm. Today, we went to dinner and I wasn't wearing any socks and Lucas was wearing a sweatshirt. The official temperature is about 34 degrees, but lord, after so long in negative numbers, it's just amazing outside.
I would like to say thanks to all those folks that sent us packages and letters and head scarves! The treats were so fantastic and we really enjoyed them all so much!
Town is getting ready for the holidays. There have been lots of parties to go to, a DA (my job) bowling night, and tons of chocolate passed around at breaks from my coworkers packages.
Lucas is quite a bowling star (I keep learning new things about him) and bowled a 145 at DA bowling night. I think I bowled a nine or something. I ended up just cheering for people and chatting with friends.
Someone stole 160 pounds of prime rib from the loading dock of the Galley. The prime rib was for Christmas dinner-- we don't know who stole the prime rib. All I know is that it must have been a coordinated effort because there is someone at the galley 24/7. There has been an extensive search, but no one has found it. It's been fun to try to come up with theories.

I still have antarctic sleep disorder. Today (our day off), Lucas and I slept for hours.
This continent effects people in different ways.
Nick, the baker, thinks that it's dehydration that makes people so exhausted and slowly start to loose the ability to process information (I've noticed myself becoming more and more absent minded).
Kira, my friend, thinks that it's lack of proper nutrition as most of our food is at least a few years old.
I think that being so close to the magnetic pole messes with you in some way.
Doctor Harry thinks that your body knows that there is no night, even if you simulate night by blacking out a window or having no window, so it's hard for your body to kick into REM sleep. You can sleep and sleep and sleep, but never feel truly rested.

And then there are those folks that can go to work, play on sports teams, go to the bars every night and not feel like they are going to die. Who knows...it's a mystery, but I most certainly miss my old energy levels. Supposedly, your body returns to normal after you leave antarctica. Lucas said to me once that going to antarctica is good for you because it rings you out and when you enter a "normal for people" climate again, you appreciate the twinkle of the stars, green-ness, humidity and all the millions of little things people take for granted. I'm looking forward to experiencing the world in a whole new way...

We're at the half way point and folks have been talking about their post ice travel plans. Lucas and I still don't know what to do for three months so if any of you all have any ideas, shoot them our way. We're throwing around walking part of the Great Wall of China, doing a pilgrimage in Nepal, walking another pilgrim route in Europe (maybe the Camino Francais, but from Paris all the way through to coast of Spain). Who knows! Hopefully, we'll be in good shape for our island, wherever in the South Pacific we may be.

As I am writing this, there is weather coming in from West Antarctica. I've taken a picture (this is the view from our lounge window)--All my love to everyone--Alex

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Merry Christmas you two! Love the posts, miss you tons, its a winter wonderland in good old MI. Hope you have a very special Antarctic Christmas