Friday, November 21, 2008

Coffee House Mornings...

I am sitting with my friend Brian at the coffehouse on campus. I just had breakfast with Lucas; and Brian has just gotten off work. I am working on my first cup of coffee; he is working on his third glass of wine and drawing as anatomically correct of a human form as he can after three glasses of wine-- He has had a full day of life as he is a night shift worker or [aka] midrat (also in the dining hall) and I have barely began my day...Bob Dylan is playing on the stereo and the lighting is just right if you've just gotten off work or have just woken up. This is the first morning I have come to the coffee shop and I really like it.

Kevin and Jen, who ran the camp that Lucas worked at in North Carolina when he got back from Scotland, walked in just a minute ago. They are also midrats and our next door neighbors at MMI.

Yesterday, Lucas and I were talking about how we've been here for what would constitute a while. We haven't just gotten here anymore. On my way to the coffee house, I realized that I have gotten used to McMurdo's energy--to all the people everywhere all the time...

I finished a book about fruit flies and the history of genetics and molecular biology...and I'm almost done with my scarf...I love being married!

A few days ago, the mail gods and goddesses were so kind to me... I got THREE LETTERS--two from the best pen pal in the world, Sabrina Beth Bazin, a birthday card from my wonderful mother in law, a reimbursement check for over one hundred dollars AND an awesome package from my friend Lorena! It can't get much better than that! All my love to everyone--alex

2 comments:

dr pax said...

hi guys. congs on the wedding! alex, i'm back from uganda; want to email you but lost your email. email me at hilarybean@hotmail.com when you get the chance. it sounds really awesome, and i would DIE to be there (i'm a geologist at heart.) look up professor david marchant from boston university in december; he's my ole' fave professor from bu and always comes during the winter holidays. he works in dry valleys. take care, enjoy that stunning place! peace out

dr pax said...

oops, i forgot my name is "dr pax." it's hilary haverkamp.