Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday, November 11

The alarm goes off each morning at 6:20. Sometimes Alex joins me for breakfast (more than you would guess, if you know how much Alex enjoys mornings). Alex eats lunch with her co-workers just before she starts working at 11:00. I get off work at 5:30, eat dinner and have a few hours to myself before Alex gets off work at ~8:30. We then have just a couple (1 1/2) hours to hang out before I start thinking about heading to bed.

We have both been sleeping a lot and barely avoiding getting sick. Alex finds time to journal, read and knit. I can't say I've been doing much of anything productive with my free time, mostly napping and socializing. Alex has made a few friends at work; most of my friends are pals from last year.

Alex and I both get Sunday off. We've done a few hikes and gotten off campus some. We've seen a seal and a skua (a skua is a sea gull type bird, but bigger and comes to Antarctica this time of year). Alex (and I too) commented on how nice and warm the weather was yesterday, the high was ~18 degrees F. Alex got one of those sunburns that you can only get in Antarctica.

We both seem to be feeling more comfortable with our job and are starting to get the hang of things. Today, I finished the fire suppression system report I've been working on for at least a week. Alex was getting ready to refill the ice cream machine last I saw her.

No comments: