Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday, November 19th

On hot days, like today, steam rolls off the frozen ground. It's neat. I didn't really experience the steam too much last year, as I was working at night (the sun is still out at night but it isn't as directly overhead) and didn't spend as much time outside. I like the idea of campus thawing. There are puddles all over campus and significant amounts of water running down the streets. This is the beginning of the muddy season. When we first arrived, everything was frozen and snow covered most of the ground. After the snow is done melting and everything dries out, we will begin the dusty season. And shortly before we leave, everything will start to freeze up again.

The muddy campus suggest the end of the frozen-ness that was here as we arrived; like the first trout lilies signaling the end of another Appalachian winter.

I've spent the entire day working outside the past two days. I definitely feel more worn out after being in the cold all day. My plan for tonight is to shower and sleep.

Wishing everyone all the best.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

What a fascinating adventure to start your newlywed years in Antartica!