Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thank you!

i just want to thank everybody who gave me a shout out for my birthday! It was really fun and i never ever expected to turn thirty-two in Antarctica! Endless wonders never cease. I had to work on my b-day, but I got to pick which tasks I wanted to do and the music in the dish room and the pot room! I also got sung to a whole bunch which is sure to bring in a great new year.

Lots has changed in my lunch lady life. As Lucas mentioned, I moved to the morning shift. For those of you who know me well, mornings are not my strength, especially in Antarctica where there are no natural sleeping cues (like the sun going down). Also, five am comes very very early and there is no forgiveness for deciding to read one more chapter in my book before sleeping. My second day on mornings, I was literally holding my eyes open with my hands. I haven't been so tired since my wedding week or graduate school. The wonderful bonus is that I get off at 4pm! which means I can go to Yoga class, see Lucas more, and have a leisurely dinner.

I got mornings because two of my co-workers quit. The quitting set the kitchen and especially the DA staff in a bit of a stir as it was reflective of the RIDICULOUS management of the kitchen (it's been years since I've worked under such poor leadership) and quite a romantic love story (my two co-workers are traveling in New Zealand as we speak)... It's a shame that things are the way that they are, but I like most everybody I work with and am very grateful that this job is temporary.

We had a lovely thanksgiving dinner-- Work was easy and fun as we had a full staff and lots of volunteers. I laugh a lot at my job because it's so ridiculous and so funny--For instance, two days ago, I was working with my friend Kira on the line. The line is where all the food is...kinda like a buffet...and we have to make sure that there is enough food and that it's kept relatively clean. I usually like the line because it's fast paced and you have to work as a team. That day, Kira and I were both wearing yellow gloves (the pans are really really hot and if you're not careful, you'll burn yourself), had our matching outfits on(blue shirts and black pants), and spoons in our hands (we use spoons to lift up the pans from the buffet line). I started singing "a whole new world" and Kira sang along with me and we ended up doing this kind of synchronized dance (as we were wearing matching outfits) and laughing so hard we were both crying: When in my life am i ever going to be a lunch lady in an impromptu musical in Antarctica? So this is how I stay sane.

Lucas and I are enjoying spending so much extra time together. He is so sweet and wakes up at 5:07 am with me and comes to breakfast. When we get home from work, we usually lie in bed and watch the sparkles on the wall from a crystal my friend, Andrea, gave to us before we left North Carolina and talk. Our room is so so small that the bed is the only place where we can hang out. We have a very sweet and simple life.

I have finished my first scarf and I love it! I've also learned how to purl-- Next, I'm going to learn how to increase and decrease stitches! Knitting is great fun--It's nice to have something to do with my hands all the time.

I went to a great yoga class today and tomorrow I'm getting my hair trimmed. Love to you all--Alex

No comments: