Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back to the island


it's 7:20 on a Tuesday night, Alex and I are both laying in bed, IN OUR NEW HOUSE!!! It was finished when we returned from Vila. It's a gorgeous house, like probably the prettiest house Alex and I will ever live in, and you know we're going to live in pretty houses nomo. And the view is fantastic too, we've been taking pictures of the sunset every night. We have two bush kitchens, which I can't be bothered to explain, and I don't fully understand, if I'm honest.

We're listening to a CD that a Peace Corps Volunteer created. It's American hip-hop music but in bislama, it's really funny, lots of references to peculiarities of the Ni-van culture.

So our flying fox flew away while we were in Vila, Alex thinks it was murdered by a child, though she doesn't know which one yet. My host father gave us a baby parrot today as a reconciliation gift. I tried to give it the same name as the flying fox, but Alex thinks that's a dumb idea. He's cute too, but really don't you think a gigantic bat is way cooler than a baby parrot? And the parrot has lice too.

Alex has been in bed all day, she's got a fever of 101F. Wish her good thoughts.

No comments: