Wednesday, January 20, 2010

December 6



it's sunday afternoon and raining heavy. The cat is sitting on my lap as I type. probably the first time she's ever seen a computer screen, she seems to find it interesting. Alex is reading a book. I am baking some beans for dinner.

Alex and her host momma baked a cake today. I think we are going to try to make brownies using a chocolate drink mix (nem blong hem Milo) next week We're also thinking we'll try our luck at making some deep-fried donuts that are heavy on the banana, to feed the men building our house on next week's workday.

This week was the first time the preacher man didn't include thanking alex and I for attending their church as part of the sermon, Alex and I take it as a sign we're integrating well.

Peace Corps gave us 'tools' to help us learn about the community/integrate. One of the tools is called FRE3HOP. Basically you ask people in the village questions about different aspects of their life to learn about life here and to have something to talk about. The 'F' stands for family, so I'm going to try to start asking everybody questions about their family tomorrow - like how big is your family, and gender roles, and do you guys wish you had more kids or less kids, and how do you guys figure out hua lukaotgud olfala woman blong yu taem we emi ol tumas (whose going to take care of mom when she gets old). We'll see how the day goes...

the R is for religion.

the beans should be ready by now, so I'm going to go check on them...

No comments: