Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 10th



My hand feels so much better! it's nice to be able to type. I've been taking antibiotics to stave off infection as the gash is pretty substantial and all my other injuries that have taken forever to heal are healing up, too! It's really great. I have sustained substantial injuries on the left side of my body: I broke one of my toes and had a horrible bubbly oozy sore on my big toe for weeks, all my mosquito bites on my leg got infected, i had a gash on my back that got infected, i hit my finger with a bush knife, I ran into a house with my face while tekem plein (bislama for taking a plane or day dreaming)--All on the left side--my right side is fine!!! Lucas has had multiple long and extended bouts of sit sit wota (diarrhea) that I won't get into and as a result all his pants are falling down...he's had a rash for a while that turned quickly into an infection as the tropics are not forgiving to those that don't clean and dress their wounds at least twice a day (I hear it gets better the longer that you're here). We received what I thought to be excessive medical kits in training, but Lucas and/or I have used something from inside them everyday! We have double the medical kit since we are two people and I am cutting my non adhesive bandages in half so that I can make it to Vila for a resupply.
Lucas and I are both psyched to go to Vila, but I am a little sad to leave our island for so long especially the cat, the flying fox, and the karen (garden) (all the foul can keep themselves fine). Today the cat followed us to church (she does that sometimes...it's pretty cute!). When church was over, we didn't see her so we assumed she went back to the house. She wasn't there. A few hours later we went back to get her and she was up a tree and so happy to see us!

No comments: