Friday, January 22, 2010

hello everyone,
Alex and I survived our first two months on the island, and are currently back in Port Vila, the capital city, for two and a half weeks or so. Alex has her early service training for the next two weeks.
We arrived in Vila by cargo ship from our island yesterday afternoon. It was a long (28 hour) boat ride. I spent the last two days updating the blog, we've been writing the blogs on the island, so I just had to download them and find some matching pictures. We'll take more pictures...promise. I tried to upload the pictures in the order that they happened. I just scanned through and blogs a bit out of order, but I'll try to get it sorted in the next couple of days...
Alex just headed off to a kava bar and I want to get a few more emails answered and then I'm outta here [the peace corps office] too.
We're doing great, our hope our blog reflects that, We have some minor frustrations (language barriers, flush toilets and home construction mostly, and the cat brings dead animals into the house, and our chickens don't ever hang out with us) but are totally happy with our placement. We're cooking all of our meals by campfire and slowly establishing gardens of our own.
wishing you all the best
and we'll have email access for the next two weeks
our love to all of you...

1 comment:

Michael said...

What a grat blog. I have enjoyed reading about your adventure so far. The bat as a pet is awesome. Does your village eat flying foxes and if so what is their reaction to you keeping one as pet? I just thought you might like to know random strangers have fun reading your blog.